Max Whitlock: 8 fun facts on our new Sporting Ambassador
Double Olympic champion gymnast Max Whitlock has been named as an official sporting ambassador for the Glasgow 2018 European Championships.
Max was unveiled yesterday alongside new Glasgow 2018 mascot Bonnie the Seal as we marked exactly One Year to Go until the Championships get underway across Scotland in August 2018. He becomes the second Glasgow 2018 sporting ambassador after Scottish swimmer Ross Murdoch who was confirmed in June.
Want to know more about our latest Glasgow 2018 sporting ambassador? Here are eight fun facts about Max Whitlock:
1) Max is Great Britain's most successful Olympic gymnast with two gold medals (2016 Floor and Pommel Horse) and three bronze medals (Two at London 2012 & All-around Rio 2016)
2) He became the first British man ever to win a World title at the 2015 World Gymnastics Championships in Glasgow, when he took gold on the Pommel Horse
3) Max was born in Hemel Hempstead. The same birthplace as PGA & European Tour golfer Luke Donald and former Formula One driver Anthony Davidson.
4) He first got into Gymnastics aged seven, when a friend from swimming suggested it to him
5) Max was awarded an MBE in the Queen's New Year's Honours list
6) He idolises Jamaican sprinter and fellow Olympian Usain Bolt
7) Max currently has 218,000 followers on Instagram and 105,000 on Twitter.
8) Can backflip a football into a car boot from over 15 feet away. Don’t believe us? Watch this
Glasgow 2018 will see the best Men’s and Women’s Senior gymnasts from across Europe compete at the SSE Hydro over eight action-packed days as part of the European Artistic Gymnastic Championships.
The existing European Championships for another four sports – Aquatics, Cycling, Rowing and Triathlon – will also take place in venues across Scotland alongside a brand new Golf Team Championships at Gleneagles. Berlin will host the European Athletics Championships, completing the line-up for the first-ever European Championships.
Fans can buy tickets for 84 thrilling sessions of sport at Glasgow 2018 starting at just £10 for adults and £5 for under-16s and over 60s. Tickets for all events can be purchased from www.glasgow2018.com/tickets and will be sold on a first come first served basis, with fans encouraged to book early to avoid disappointment.