About the European Championships
A New Era in World Sport
A new era in world sport will get underway in the summer of 2018 as Glasgow and Berlin host the inaugural European Championships — an exciting new multi-sport event bringing together some of the continent’s leading sports including the existing European Championships for Athletics, Aquatics, Cycling, Gymnastics, Rowing and Triathlon with a new Golf Team Championships.
To be staged every four years starting in August 2018, the European Championships will be a new highlight on the global sporting calendar, elevating the status of European Champions during an 11-day celebration of world-class sport and a packed 10-day broadcast schedule.
Glasgow and Scotland will host Aquatics, Cycling, Golf, Gymnastics, Rowing and Triathlon while Berlin hosts Athletics.
The Championships will take Scotland’s sporting reputation to the next level. With a potential television audience of up to 1.03 billion across Europe set to watch the action, Glasgow will again be in the spotlight with the event being covered by free-to-air broadcasters, including the BBC, across the continent.
- Run by leading European Sports Federations
- Brings together existing individual European Championships into one co-ordinated multi-sport concept
- Berlin and Glasgow will be the host cities in 2018
- 11-day celebration of European sport staged every 4 years
- First edition will be staged on the 2 - 12 August 2018
- 2018 European Championships to include 7 leading sports: athletics, swimming, cycling, rowing, triathlon, golf & gymnastics
- Approximately 4,500 athletes to compete
- EBU and their free-to-air members are our broadcast partners. The individual events will have a potential total audience of more than 1.03 billion television viewers across the continent and an even wider audience via multiple digital platforms.
Glasgow Host City
Glasgow is one of the world’s top 5 sporting cities with an international events programme and several world-class venues such as the iconic Emirates Arena and stunning SSE Hydro. Aquatics, cycling, gymnastics, golf, rowing and triathlon will be held in Scotland.
Berlin Host City
Berlin is Germany’s top city for sport and sports fans, hosting around 40 major sporting events every year, many of which have become legendary. The BMW Berlin-Marathon is one of the top running events worldwide. The German capital will host Athletics.
Sign up for our newsletter
For access to latest news and offers